Are you afraid to create content for your podcast? Have you even started one yet? What are the reasons holding you back?
Anyone entering into the world of creating content knows that we’re living in a noisy time. Attention spans are dropping, competition is increasing and algorithms are changing.
With so many scary stats, it can feel overwhelming to get started and try to “beat the odds.” It can also be intimidating to reach people while worrying about growth, vanity metrics and, perhaps, judgement.
Fear is a natural human instinct; it causes us to pull back and protect ourselves. When we feel threatened, we’ll avoid, procrastinate and hide. However, the best way to overcome a fear of failure is to crush your inhibition and start creating.
When we feel threatened, we’ll avoid, procrastinate and hide. However, the best way to overcome a fear of failure is to crush your inhibition and start creating.
You need output, practice, feedback and data. During your beginner months and your initial years with experience, trial and error are the essential elements to succeed on your terms.
Do you want to reach a million listeners, readers or consumers? Are you satisfied with a few hundred highly relevant people that genuinely engage with you? Would you rather attract people who convert to your business?
All goals align with the effort you put out.
If your expectations are too high and unrealistic, you’ll freeze in inaction. At the same time, if you underestimate the difficulty, you’ll throw in the towel before things even get started.
You have to keep your output high and in proportion to your objectives. Push yourself gradually, practice your craft regularly and focus on publishing as much quality content as you can.
Now that you know all that, here’s a real scary fact to swallow.
Creating a consistent level of output is only 20% of the battle; the other 80% goes toward distribution.
Creating a consistent level of output is only 20% of the battle; the other 80% goes toward distribution. Content needs distribution if you want people to enjoy the time and effort you put into your creations.
Let’s put this into perspective. If you’re currently spending 15 hours a week creating content and promotion, reorganise your time to spend three hours creating content and 12 hours promoting it.
The key is to find the right balance that works for you. As you attract a larger following of people who genuinely love your content, that ratio is likely to move toward creating more and promoting less.